Saturday 22 March 2014

Reading for Spring

onceup8300
I am signing up to do the Once Upon a Time challenge hosted by Carl at Stainless Steel DroppingsThe themes for the challenge are fantasy, folklore, fairytale and mythology. I've had in mind the books I want to read for some time, and they are as follows;

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Described an 'urban fantasy full of vampires, werewolves and shape-shifters' it is set in London in 1878. It's the first book in The Infernal Devices series.

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin
This is another first book in a series (the Matthew Swift novels) and is again set in London. 'Enter a London where magicians ride the Last Train, implore favours of the Beggar King and interpret the insane wisdom of The Bag Lady'.

Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch
This is more of a known quantity because it is the fourth in the series and I loved the other three. A police procedural, the hero is PC Peter Grant an apprentice wizard who works for the Metropolitan Police. (London again, I didn't realise how London-centric the list was until I've started typing it out).

Any Other Name by Emma Newman
The second in the Split Worlds trilogy. I've actually had this on my shelf for ages, but I was waiting for Once Upon a Time to read it. The blurb says 'It's Downton Abbey with magic, in Bath's secret mirror city'. That sounds impossible to resist.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
This is a re-read. I loved it when I previously read it and am hoping it's as good as I remember.

That's my list, and I'm looking forward to getting started.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great list! I keep hearing about Cassandra Clare...and I've been meaning to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (it's just so LONG!) so I'll look forward to your reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about joining in, but most of the books I've come up with are more science fiction than fantasy. I haven't heard of most of those on your list - except Jonathan Strange. I'll also look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. Sounds like a lot of great reading. And since I have never read these books, I will look forward to hearing your reviews! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete