Wednesday 18 April 2012

Reading challenges 2012

I'm feeling quite confident with my reading challenges this year. I've read 2 of my books for the Back to the Classics challenge at Sarah Reads Too Much. These were Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope , and Tender is the Night by F Scott Fitzgerald.

I've signed up for Carl's Once Upon A Time challenge, which I'm very excited about. I decided to do Quest the Third, which is reading five books which fit the categories and a group readalong of A Midsummer Night's Dream. This fits nicely with the Classics challenge where I have picked Dream for my classic play. Another crossover is Arabian Nights which fits both lists. I'm halfway through Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire. I have to admit that I'm not loving it, which is a shame, as I really enjoyed Wicked. The Last Battle and The Hobbit I was planning to read with Billy, though as we're working our way through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at the moment, I'm not sure we'll get to them before the end of June.

I'm also slowing making my way through Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie for a readalong I read about on The Literary Stew. And I've also signed up for Muriel Spark Reading Week. I'm not being too ambitious with that one, I'm only planning to read one book - The Hothouse by the East River.

At the beginning of the year I decided to set myself a very informal challenge of trying to read more books by Hilary Mantel. I bought three of her books from The Book People at the bargain price of £7.99. I've read A Place of Greater Safety which I thought was really good. I've only managed one of the six re-reads I wanted to do this year - This Book Will Save Your Life by A.M. Homes. So I've got some catching up to do there.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are participating in the Muriel Spark Reading Week. I am reading her book "Loitering with Intent" and really enjoying it. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say next week. Good luck with all your reading challenges, you have some great books ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, plenty to get your teeth into. I still haven't read Wolf Hall and must get round to it.

    Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete