Friday 15 April 2011

New books

These arrived from ReadItSwapIt.

The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
Ashenden is the only Maugham I have read. I really enjoyed it so I don't know why I haven't read more. In my mind he's alongside Graham Greene, another author who I like, but haven't read a great deal of.

Violet to Vita: The Letters of Violet Trefusis to Vita Sackville-West
Reading Decca reminded me how much I love collections of letters and diaries. All I know about these two is that they were connected to Bloomsbury. I enjoy reading about Bloomsbury, so I'm sure I'll enjoy these. The quote from the Guardian says that they are 'Fiery, intelligent, full of Sturm and Drang'.

3 comments:

  1. I read the Violet to Vita letters when they were first published and remember finding them fascinating because of the way in which they fitted in with the letter of Virginia Woolf, which I was also reading. I'll be very interested to see what you make of them as a singleton as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the movie of the Painted Veil - I hope the book lives up to that standard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie - I love reading other people's letters. It concerns me that future generations won't know the pleasure of it, because no one writes letters any more. ('Concerns' is too strong a word - I'm 'mildly perturbed')

    Yvann - I think I'll read the book first, then watch the film. I find that way round works best for me.

    ReplyDelete