Tuesday 15 February 2011

Judi Dench: And Furthermore

This is an autobiography, but there is very little of her personal life in it. It is about her career, and mainly her career in the theatre. It's written as if it's a conversation (though obviously a one-sided one), and I really felt as if I could hear Dame Judi's voice in the text. And like in a conversation there were times when I wanted to say, 'Wait, what do you mean by that?' There were times when I thought an anecdote just petered out, like there should have been something else to say. Likewise there were instances where she seemed to feel very strongly about something and I couldn't quite understand what she was upset about. The incident with Roger Spottiswoode, the director of Tomorrow Never Dies, is an example. The argument she relates seems so insignificant that I felt that there must have been something leading up to it, that she didn't include.

I know Dame Judi from her tv and film appearances. I'm not a theatre goer and I think if I was I would've enjoyed this book more.

No comments:

Post a Comment